Thursday, April 05, 2012

Change

What is change? Deep and profound change? It is an interesting question. We all make changes in our lives. We force ourselves not to have that second coke. How long do these changes last though? I mean we really WANT that second coke. When do we start not wanting it? For this is the essence of change. I have cut down to one coke a day for like four months now. I still like coke though. I noticed the past week I have cheated a couple of times and gone to two cokes a day. How long until I just say fuck it and buy a case? Die in a coke filled bathtub of debauchery?

I have given up coke in the past. It has not lasted yet. How do you get past the point of forcing yourself not to do something and keeping discipline versus actually not wanting to do something?

Other changes are slightly easier. Like cooking. I enjoy it actually. I like making myself a few meals a week and it is probably marginally healthier than my previous diet of Hungry Man dinners and other assorted frozen fruit.

Some changes I have made for many months. Like training for a 5K. I was a runner for 9-months. The first time I quit I think it was because I got bored. The second time I got hurt. My leg was all fucked up and sore and I just never jumped back into it. Sometimes I quit because it was too cold. I keep coming back to it though. Mostly because I think exercise is a good thing to do, not because I necessarily like it. I do like my rock solid boobs from pushups though. Women should feel them things when I am doing 100 pushups every 3 days. Ahh yeah.

I guess I have not answer for the question of when SHOULD DO becomes something that you just do. Perhaps it is never. The whole point in life could be to be so disciplined that SHOULD DO just IS and you never have an issue with falling back to your old ways. I hope this is not the case because I am not the most disciplined person in the world. I have my moments. Peace.

7 Comments:

Blogger Astin said...

Did you read that article on how Target uses habits to lure pregnant women into their stores?

In there is some info on how habits form, and how they can be altered or broken. Could be worth a read in this case.

I find I have to force myself not to eat junk food for a few weeks before it becomes normal for me. I used to plow through chips and pop, and then when I decided to lose weight, I stopped cold turkey. It took a fair bit of will power at times, but eventually the though of chips meant I could taste the grease. Pop felt like sugar. Eventually that passed too and now I only have the occasional pop, and generally use having people over as an excuse to buy some bags of chips.

Once you start eating healthy regularly, you really notice how crap fast food, processed food, and junk food is. Not that I don't still have a burger and fries or pizza or something at least once a week.

I find now, that when I want to go buy some snacks, it's more because I'm bored than actually hungry or thirsty. Sometimes I do end up picking something up, but more often than not, I walk around a bit, stretch, talk to co-workers, and then find the desire is gone.

11:43 AM

 
Blogger Josie said...

I really like some of your posts and this is one of them because it gives me something to think about while I do my boring job.

I agree that deep and profound change should eventually be easy, part of your life and not a struggle. Therefore, maybe you need to change what you're trying to change!

If you've been limiting your coke for 4 months and still craving it, fuck the one coke limit. Let increasing your daily quota be your fucking change. So you add another coke to your day which adds, what? maybe 100 calories. So eat one less snack to even things out and make it a change you can live with.

You know me. I'd stop eating and drinking everything and exercise like a maniac and then quit shortly thereafter. Those weren't changes I could live with. These days the changes are more subtle but I'm sticking with them and that's the key. I would go through bouts of giving up diet coke. (chemicals!) but I LIKE Diet Coke so I'll watch what I eat and have my diet coke as a treat.

So drink your coke, pump up your chest, and run that 5K with your chicky. Those are the changes for you.

11:46 AM

 
Blogger grrouchie said...

I'm asking myself this question daily about the extra fat that I carry around and yet I cannot stay motivated long enough to lose it.

4:27 PM

 
Blogger Carmel said...

Someone once told me that chance is impossible but advancement isn't. I don't know what that shit means. It sounded good.

7:49 PM

 
Blogger sevencard2003 said...

How do you get past the point of forcing yourself not to do something and keeping discipline versus actually not wanting to do something?

i wish i knew

12:55 PM

 
Blogger lightning36 said...

What is change? Easy -- quarters, dimes, nickles ...

12:05 PM

 
Blogger Pauly said...

Cocaine will help you lose weight, but then you'll probably lose your house and your job after fighting the throes of that horrible white powdery monkey chained to your back.

Willpower will have to suffice. Mind games. You can win this one.

11:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home