Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Thin Byte Line

It is tough being a good developer. One of the guys who does it because he LIKES to create good systems. If it was up to me every project would take a million years and be as perfect as a Picasso painting. It is an art for me.

Us artists live in a business world though. So when people ask why their really fast dictionary of dictionaries is not a good fit as an object model you can tell them about reusability and readability but they will turn their slack jawed look at you and say "yeah but it is faster". So eventually you just have to learn to suck it up and let your vision become corrupted. It is hard to balance between caring for the success of your project and saying whatever you fucktards and making your buck.

I guess a lot of my success comes from walking that thin byte line very well as opposed to being the best programmer in the world. When I get tired of seeing my vision corrupted there is always a new an interesting project somewhere else. I guess that is the road of the consultant.

2 Comments:

Blogger OhCaptain said...

I know the feeling. I work with several that claim Access programming is the pinnacle of software development and whomever writes the longest method with shortest variable names wins.

I still enjoy a clever inheritance structure or a perfectly crafted recursive algorithm. But you've got to savor them these days cause the next 140 character message system is coming to sweep everyone off their feet.

10:32 PM

 
Blogger BadBlood said...

I know that shit all too well too. What's worse is having other people "contribute" to your code base and it being filled with illogical crap.

"But it works," they say.

"Yeah, today," is my response.

5:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home