Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Wanderer

One of the things I like about walking around downtown Boston is that it reminds me a lot of my childhood. I actually think I was happy once. I just did not realize it. The idyllic days of my grade school experience left me feeling bored and restless. Little did I know that wanting things to change did not always mean things would be better. As boredom sunk in I would wander about.

I am not sure if it was a different world back then but I would walk the streets of Brookline, Boston, Arlington. Stopping into little corner shops and reading the comics with the covers torn off that cost a quarter or so each. I would check every parking meeter for a little extra change and was extremely excited when I found these treasures. It meant I would not have to steal my next book to read from the paperback booksmith. Sometimes I would ride my bike, a slick Schwinn machine. One time I rode all the way from Winchester back to Brookline.

I guess getting old brings with it a bit of nostalgia. As I walk among the fantastic architecture of some of the brick buildings it brings me back. Passing by places like French Cleaners, I am not sure if that is the name of the place or if they have frogs lick your clothes clean, as I passed by small shops in my childhood. I guess I am enjoying my walks. One of these days I may just hop a train to Brookline and do one of the routes I took as a child. That would be a lot of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home