Friday, June 02, 2006

Marxst1 Enable Your Comments you FTARD!

I know Ick, that is not very inviting to new bloggers. Screw you too! Seriously though Marxst you have posted two things in the past week that I would have liked to comment on but I can not figure out if Bloglines even has comments.

The Luck vs Skill thing has been going around for a while and Marxst wants to know why all of the sudden, doing the same things, he is winning. His game did not change. He attributes it to luck. I think it is statistically inevitable that you eventually hit a nice run or a bad run. Some of these runs are LONG AS HELL and some are short. For instance I spent a YEAR playing limit poker. I had the most phenomenal luck of anyone ever. I just kept winning. Brought an initial fifty buck buyin to over 3K in a short period of time. However the odds finally caught up to me and I started losing for no good reason. It took a while to deal with the fact that no matter who you are or how good you are these statistical anomalies will happen.

I am so glad it did happen too because it caused me to look at my game and grow as a player. Ok. It caused me to cry like a baby for a year. At the end of that I think I came out finally getting poker a little more. It does not matter what the outcome of a hand or a single game is. Sure you can get lucky and win thousands or millions which takes the edge off the long term but in general poker is a game where you will lose with the best hand a lot.

If you keep working on the skill side of your game and shrug off those tough patches where chaos comes in and messes up all your nice structured math you will be a winner. Keep learning. Keep growing. In time you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.

You also said "I certainly would never argue that I think if I had my "luckiest" day I could beat any of the professional players out there", which I totally disagree with. You could get so lucky that you destroyed players much better than you. In that one game. It happens. We see it a lot in these large field WSOP games. Luck is an interesting thing. It twists and turns like the wind and can both lift you higher than you could possibly go by yourself or dash you on the rock below. The best players ride out these winds of change and keep soaring along.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, I just emailed him this morning and told him to switch over to Blogger or something like that. Bloglines blogs don't have the comment feature.

11:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, here is his new site: http://fluckoftheirish.blogspot.com/

1:15 PM

 
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

I can die in peace now.

Poker Playing Goal #1.

1. ITM @ Mookie = Yep.

Poker Blogging Goal #1.

1. Linked by Waffles (hell, renamed no less!) = Done and done.

All poker playing/poker blogging goals accomplished. It is official and complete. Expect my farewell post sometime early next week.

8:41 PM

 
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Hey Marx I hear you are a S0000PER Donkey:

http://slb159.blogspot.com

He should know his donkeys too.

4:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home