Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Picking up steam..

Its been a mixed night. I logged a nice win at 25/NL. Small but nice. I then decided to go over to Full Tilt. I ran my stack down and out at Full Tilt. It is a shame since I still have Bonus money there. My play there today was sub-optimal. So I hopped onto Party Poker again. Aeq was hanging around so I decided to play some 50/NL with him. Standing at +29ish right now. I am leaving in twenty minutes. I enjoyed this table a lot. There was a MAJOR chaser. Any floosh. Any Straight. No matter the bet. He was up to around $120, and sits at around $50 now.

Couple things about tonight. I am not too disappointed about the Full Tilt thing. It is MUCH harder to build a roll from 50 to 300, than 300 to 1K. Why? Because with the extra cash you can survive a little sub-optimal play. Your going to have bad days. It is not impossible to go from 50 to 300 but it is not easy.

The roll is at its healthiest yet. I am enjoying the grinding out a living at NL. It is very much fun. It is nice to see some action upward also. I am slowly building the roll and it is to its healthiest point since the bust. Sitting around $480 right now. I am looking forward to hitting 3K again. A stack of that size, while not huge, has enough mass to make some real money. I would probably play a little short handed 5/10 and stick with the NL. I would have enough of a bankroll though where I could play more MTTs, SNGs and other fun things. The roll right now should be 25/NL ring only.

Actually on that subject, what is the rule of thumb for NL bankrolls? What roll do I need for 50/NL? The play does not seem any better than 25/NL for the most part. No worse either. So where should I stand? I was going to wait until 1K but I am not sure if I need to or not. Ideas? I talked with a few people and I think I will make 50/NL my regular game. See how it goes. Drop down if I lose $250. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mr Subliminal said...

There are no hard and fast rules regarding an NL bankroll. Some people recommend 10 buy-ins and some 20. I personally like 25, and I know those that advocate 35.

I have no doubt whatsoever that you can beat these games, so there only remains the formality of following these two simple steps :

(1) Pick a figure
(2) Stick to it

On second thoughts, and speaking from personal experience, step (2) may not be that simple after all :-)

1:30 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Lock yourself out of those 5/10 shorthanded games even if you get your roll back.

Stick to the games you're doing well at.

5:56 AM

 
Blogger Mourn said...

Ditto that...

9:05 AM

 
Blogger High Plains Drifter said...

I asked a similar question on my blog back on 2/20 and 2/21. Like Mr Subliminal said, there's no set rule.

I decided I wasn't comfortable moving from 25NL to 50NL with a bankroll of less than $600. My roll is at $500 now, and I'll probably wait until it hits $750 or more to play 50NL regularly. When I get there, I want to stay there, and I don't want to play 'scared money'.

I feel like my bankroll is in between 25NL and 50NL, so I'm going to try a move from $5 sng's to $10 sng's.

I'm not sure if I'm being overly cautious, or prudent.

Either way, SirF, good luck building your roll.

6:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home