Wednesday, November 10, 2004

These guys are good?

First of I want to thank everyone who replied. I took everything into consideration and decided to play a little 5/10. Single table. Playing mostly my game. It was hard to raise a few times when I should have.. but I probably would not have done so at 3/6 either.. I am really happy to have people who will take money out of there boss's pockets to help me with my Poker game.

My stats for my first game were as follows:

VP$IP: 14.29 (Was not getting anything playable)
4.51 PF Raise
Aggression Factor: 1.03! Nice!

Here are my notes for the first night of Poker. I started playing. Here are some hands people showed:

-- Against a raise: 53o, Makes straight? Are these players really better?
-- A4 in EP wins. lol! I wouldnt show that! I would fold just to not show.
-- K9 Bluffing against J10o, why did K9 raise, and why did J10 call? A on the flop,
and K9 is raising 3-Bets!
-- J7 S000ted against a raise? What are these guys smoking?

Was I on a crazy 5/10 table or do they play more questionable hands at 5/10, and bluff there asses off when they miss? The night was pretty good. I started the night losing twice against 78, once with a flush vs his boat, and the other time with AK hitting my K on the river against his two pair.

Someone named Phish called me a fish! She said she was just joking after I ripped into her! I wonder if Phish is a blogger we all know and love? Hope not or else I will feel bad. Here is the hand for the hell of it. Names changed to protect the innocent. Inserted my thinking for you to review:

***** Hand History for Game 1163877639 *****
$5/$10 Hold'em - Wednesday, November 10, 22:26:37 EDT 2004
Table Table 11674 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 7: tp95 ( $489.5 )
Seat 5: SirFWALGMan ( $243.5 )
Seat 9: phish ( $244 )
Seat 4: pr ( $756 )
Seat 8: Ice ( $179 )
Seat 2: tru ( $260.5 )
Seat 1: many ( $318 )
Seat 10: rags ( $182 )
phish posts small blind [$2].
rags posts big blind [$5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to SirFWALGMan [ 5h 5s ]
many folds.
tru folds.
yardley folds.
pr folds.
SirFWALGMan calls [$5].
JNazzer calls [$5].
tp95 folds.
Ice calls [$5].
phish calls [$3].
rags folds.

>>>>>>> Nobody is betting this up. 55 is playable in Middle Position. So
I am in.


** Dealing Flop ** [ 7s, 8d, 9s ]
phish bets [$5].
SirFWALGMan calls [$5].
JNazzer folds.
Ice calls [$5].

>>>>>>> From what I can tell any scary straight draw flop,
or a real straight draw is going to call this. Yeah, someone could
have 10-J, but someone could also have 77. I decide to see another card.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 3c ]
phish checks.
SirFWALGMan checks.
Ice bets [$10].
phish calls [$10].
SirFWALGMan calls [$10].
** Dealing River ** [ 3d ]

>>>>>>> Nothing has really changed here. If I was losing before, I
am still loosing. Nobody wants this pot except ICE now. I have been
playing with ICE and he is a total LAG in my estimation without
looking at PT. (Checking PT I am probably right. 44% of the time in the pot. Agression rating of 1.15!) He bought in for $94. Caught some lucky hands and built
it up, and then busted out over $260. His bet does not scare me, and
phish is now checking showing she missed her overcards. My read on this
hand is my 5's are going to hold up. I could be wrong, but it's not costing me
huge money.


phish checks.
SirFWALGMan checks.
Ice bets [$10].
phish folds.
SirFWALGMan calls [$10].
Ice shows [ 2s, 4s ] a pair of threes.
SirFWALGMan shows [ 5h, 5s ] two pairs, fives and threes.
SirFWALGMan wins $87 from the main pot with two pairs, fives and threes.

>>>>>>> Now here is my only mistake. Phish is out. I respect Phish. She is a rock.
If she hit her overcard I would have folded. Ice could have ANYTHING at all! My mistake was not raising him and maybe getting another $10. I had this good of a feeling on my read, but chickened out.

So did I way over play this? I think my reads were correct and it paid off. I understand I could lose money doing this, but I trust my instincts. Sometimes they are wrong but that is the game.

So my take so far playing one table for 84 hands. Not better than 3/6. VERY loose! Alot of bluffing going on, so it gets hard to read people sometimes. Alot of turn raises to knock people out. Could get nasty in a multi-way pot! heh. I am up $73 which is modest. I have my first taste and I like it. I do not think every table is going to be this bad but if it is then I can make alot of money!

Iggy popped in around 11. If I did not know better I would think he has me tagged as a fish and is tracking me down. heh. I was ready to go by 11, so I said goodbye and left the fish to him. I wanted to leave feeling good about the night, so I decided I would pack it up a little early. All in all a nice introduction.


5 Comments:

Blogger doubleas said...

Very nice run for you lately. Keep it up. See you at 10/20 soon right?

7:01 AM

 
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

You only play NL, right? heh. I am not sure how long it will take to double up my bankroll and play 10/20. I really have no feel for how 5/10 is going to be in the long run, but so far so good.

7:16 AM

 
Blogger Poker Nerd said...

That hand makes me want to think about playing 5/10.

But, seriously...

Are there a lot of 5/10 full tables now at Party? I thought 5/10 was the domain of 6-max.

On that 55 hand...you need to have a very good read on the table to pull that off (sounds like you did). If you're raised behind and isolated, that 55 will leak chips in a bad way long-term.

Is your aggression factor of 1.03 post-flop only or including pre-flop? Important distinction. It still needs to come up.

One thing you may want to look at is raising in situations where you would normally call, particularly on the flop. It could buy you a free card on the turn if you need/want it, and force people to pay you off when you hit monsters...your raises won't always mean big hands.

Keep watching your opponents and you'll do fine. Sounds like you've got a good instinct and the balls to follow your reads.

8:57 AM

 
Blogger gaamblor said...

Your thinking is rather flawed if you think raising had a greater than .000001% of getting you an extra $10.

The guy had flush draw that missed he had to take a stab on the end, no way he would call a raise

You didn't even address the strangest part of that hand, the bb foldind to no raise?

10:59 AM

 
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Good point. I have seen people do even more stupid things! Especially this guy, but I guess it would have been hard to call a raise with 2-4o, if he had an Ace then maybe he thinks high card wins?

12:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home