Sunday, August 15, 2004

NL Tourney Tweak

I have been reading again and decided to make an adjustment to my NL tourney game which seems to be a +EV proposition. I was reading the Texas Holdem book listed in my book section by Brad Daugherty and Tom McEnvoy, and read the part about short stack. I really like anything Tom McEnvoy writes. He has a simple way of explaining things that is good for starting out. I have usually tried to "Stay in the game" when I become short stack. The book suggests this is incorrect play. The adjustment it says I should make is if I am in critical stack position if I am going to bet, I should just go all in. Here is a portion of the chart:

Round Move In Stack
1 50
2 100
3 150
4 250
5 500
6 750

I could go on. The only point I am making here is that when you have that few chips and the blinds are a decent size you MUST risk it all to have a chance to win it all. I played 5 tourneys today to test this. I placed in 4 of 5. Two of these I would have been blinded out or made little money if I did not go all in with a good yet move in stack left. I doubled and tripled up in a tourney this way from a $450 stack at 5th level with six people left! I ended up in second place. Not bad. Normally I would have made small bets and maybe made a little money. So all of NL tourney guys out there be prepared to GO .. ALL .. IN!


Blogger BadBlood said...

I've just finished reading that book as well, but have yet to apply it to any tournaments. I like McEvoy as well.

8:48 AM


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home