Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Some thoughts..

I think my tourney play has suffered recently as my ring game has gotten better. I think this is because the two are diametrically opposed. Now, the same kind of play, going in with good starting cards, etc.. works in both, but I think in tourneys you need to screw pot odds and think survival. I might be wrong about this. It seems though, that when I play more aggressively, I end up losing more in tourneys. In a ring game, it might be a good bet to try and draw out a flush, and take a large pot. In the long run you will win more. In a tourney, it might just cripple you enough to lose it all. When I play very conservatively in tourneys I almost always finish top 3. I loosen up when it gets down to the 3 final players, but it seems like playing super tight until the end pays off more often than not in the single table tourneys.

On the other hand, I think that ring games are FAR more profitable than tourneys. I can take out 10-50 a session in a 1/2 ring right now, where it might take a while to do that in tourney play. I do not think I will give up on tourneys. There is something to be said about being BIG DOG, numero UNO, better than the other 9 players! As far as making money though, I am going to focus on the rings more. Once I get my pot up a little I will probably move up to 2/4 or 3/6. I think my pot is a good size for 1/2. Not sure what the guidelines about this would be, but I want to take it slowly, especially until I get my desire to TILT way out of control out of the way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andres Silva said...

I think it depends on what you're comfortable with. I think some of the standard book advice is 200 or 300 times the BB so 800 - 1200 to play 2/4 so that you can handle the swings. On the other hand, if you're comfortable with the game and can set a limit at which point you'll drop back to 1/2 to rebuild your bankroll then try again later. *shrug* Me personally I'm operating under the 300x rule.

10:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home