Monday, July 12, 2004

Perspective

"The single greatest key to winning in poker is knowing thy enemy — yourself."
Andy Glazer

Grabbed that from Guiness and Poker. Excellent writing there. Although it is REALLY long. Anyway, that Andy guy could really sum things up. I have been thinking about my Poker playing lately. I think I am being a little hard on myself. I mean lets get real. I have been playing for about two months. Of course I have an inflated opinion of myself.

As I nursed my $50 up to $500 I thought "I cannot lose", "I am the best poker player of my generation". Ha! What it really says is I am a young poker player. Sometimes I am on my game, sometimes not so much. I am prone to making mistakes, and even one big mistake can kill you in a ring game or tourney.

It is nice to get back to earth. I hope to keep improving my game. I hope to get used to variance. Everyone gets it. Just because I did not see much of it on my rise (ha!), does not mean I am not going to have off times. So anyway, I need to keep playing, and keep trying to manage my money correctly.

One bad thing about internet Poker is it feeds my personality way to much. I was always that nerd kid, playing games in his dark basement for hour-upon-hour, Doom, Quake, Half Life, Warcraft! I would spend hours playing these games, literaly until my hand cramped up and I had to stop. Not sure what void I am trying to fill here, but that is another Blog. I think online poker has the same draw as video games. The money does not seem real. Need to play until I beat the game. Just a thought. It is kind of funny how Poker really makes you think about yourself, and the inner workings of people in general. Dr Freud signing off.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andres Silva said...

Sounds like you could honestly benefit from reading "Killer Poker Online" at least once. Maybe head down the Borders (or whatever your local super-bookstore is) and camp out (it's a fast read) or buy it and keep it nearby for re-reading to get some reinforcement on how to deal with the weaknesses in your game. I just finished reading the book today (got it a couple of days ago?) and was really impressed with it's approach. Not everything applied to me, but I did find a few nuggets of wisdom worth applying and I guess that makes the book worth it. Based on the comments you've posted, I believe you might also find it a valuable addition to your library.

1:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home