Monday, July 26, 2004

Not the Cards

I am totally convinced that playing Poker has nothing to do with Poker. It has nothing to do with cards, or probability or anything else. Any given session can kick your butt even if you are the best player on the planet. Like the other night when I had my Ace High Flush with everyone in ($300 pot probably) beaten by a runner-runner boat! Can you believe that? The person playing is calling and raising with a pair of Jacks. Oh well.. if I see her again its payback time!

Anyway, back to the point. I think everything in Poker revolves around keeping yourself in control. In order to win, you have to be able to accept losing. You need to be disciplined enough to say “Not my night” and walk away down. You cannot fall sooo in love with your hand that you do not pay attention to what might be. You have to be strong enough to say, “Ok, this is not the flop that KK is going to win”. You need to know that a better hand is coming around the corner, and wait for it. Know your opponent and what his tendencies are. When you can read him like a book, he will always pay out for you. Patience. Discipline. Strength. Observation. These are the ingredients that make a good Poker player. Grinding it out day after day. You are the champions. So raise your glasses and drink a toast to all good Poker players out there!

1 Comments:

Blogger James said...

I actually have a little sticky note on my monitor that says "Patience, Disciple, Position," but I think I like "Patience. Discipline. Strength. Observation." better.

3:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home