Friday, July 16, 2004

I like it Al!

A few posts back I asked the question "Raise, Check or Fold". Now, AlCantHang answered my question on his Blog. His answer was "Raise or Fold". He then said something about his wife kicking his butt in poker. Anyway, I took his answer as meaning that he played with aggression. I am normally not a very aggressive person or Poker player, but I have been trying to add this to my game lately. Here is what I have found at the limit games. Aggression Rocks! I now have a policy, if my hand is good enough to stay in, it is good enough to bet. I cannot tell you how many checks I have done, letting people see the next card. Now the only time I will check, is if I am going to fold to any bets ahead of me. I also will play my premium hands with a raise. I normally would just limp into the pot.
 
The best place I have seen aggression work (and this does not always work) on several tables is with scary flops or high cards. If I get 33Q on the flop, I suspend  all belief and bet on it. Sometimes this works. People will think I at least have the Q because I am betting. I have gotten people to fold MANY times with this. When they do not fold, or raise me I usually back off and fold. This works a lot better once you hit a hot streak and everyone is scared of you. Obviously, it depends on the table too, if people are calling stations, then it will not work on them.
 
The other sneaky place I like to try to steal pots is when a few small cards and one large one come on the flop. I bet into it even if I do not have it. At the very least it tells people "He has the High Card". It is the best when the high card pairs up on the turn or river. Nobody is going to want to call you.
 
Obviously you need the right cards for these methods to work, but I had a VERY profitable night at 1/2 doing these little things. I played 3 tourneys and lost all 3 for $25, and I am still up almost $50 from my ring winnings.
 
So thanks for the advice Al! Maybe I totally mis-interpreted you, but its working for me. 
 
** Just a little update: I was watching Hollywood Homegame or something like that last night. Howard Lederer was doing commentary. His exact words: "In Poker Agression is good".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home